If you are someone who has a collection of digital photos on your PC or someone who collects images from the internet, you have to try John’s Background Switcher. John’s Background Switcher periodically changes the wallpaper image on your computer (like every hour or every day) to something interesting. I have tried several of these from various authors and this one is one of the better ones.
One thing I do when reviewing software is: 1) Look for a forum on the site where the users can interact with each other and the author of the software; and, 2) If a forum exists, how does the author respond to the users of the software? I’ve been visiting this site for quite awhile and the author (John Conners), who I personally don’t even know, responds to his users like know one I’ve seen. I really think, and just my gut feeling, if you ask this guy for the world, he would try to give it to you… His response to his users is phenomenal.
Getting back to my review of “John’s Background Switcher”, the one thing I really like is the ability to “splash” your photos onto the screen (example: see below). I currently have the software configured on my PC to point to the the “My Pictures” folder, where I have my photo collection and configured to randomly “splash” the images onto the background every 30 minutes. What is neat about this is you really pay special attention to your photos. You can also manually make the switcher change your images.
You can specify which pictures to choose from and John’s Background Switcher will automatically plug in the images from:
- Individual pictures on your computer.
- Folders containing pictures on your computer such as ‘My Pictures’.
- Flickr photo sharing – selecting pictures by person, tags, sets or just plain random. You never know what you’re going to get next!
- Phanfare web albums – keep up to date with your friends and family.
- smugmug photo galleries – yours, your friends, anybody’s!
- Picasa Web Albums – choose from specific albums or any search text.
- Facebook – your friends photos on your desktop!
- Yahoo! image search – the internet is your oyster!