Today I’m going to tell you about a new application that is the “Godzilla” of portable application suites; BUT, before I do, I know there are many readers out there that visit my blog who do not know what a portable software application is (aka: portable app). If you own a flash drive and you have not placed any software on it, you do not know what you are missing.
In order for a software application to be labeled as portable application, that can be run directly from your flash drive, the application must meet the following criteria:
- Does not require any kind of formal installation onto a computer’s permanent storage device to be executed, and can be stored on a removable storage device such as USB flash drive, enabling it to be used on multiple computers.
- Settings are stored with, and can be carried around with, the software (i.e., they are written to the USB drive). If the registry is used to store settings, the application’s configuration isn’t portable, and must be set up on every PC it is used on
Leaves a zero (or near-zero) “footprint” on any PC it’s run on after being used. i.e., All temporary files/registry settings should be removed once the program has exited, and files created by the user can be saved directly to the same removable media as the application is stored on.
[source: Wikipedia ]
In a nutshell, portable applications are applications that you copy (or install) to your flash drive that can be used on just about any Windows based computer and will leave no traces (or footprints) on the computer from which you use the flash drive.
If you are like me, my flash drive has become a repository in a sense for portable applications that I can’t live without. It has taken me considerable time to research, test run and compile my collection of applications.
Today I happened across a FREE application called “LiberKey”, that will save you a considerable amount of time in getting your flash drive up and running. LiberKey is an “already prepared” collection of numerous portable apps that can be installed onto your flash drive (or your computer’s hard drive) “in one fell swoop”, menu and all. If you notice in the screen shot below, the menu is categorized; and, under each of those categories are sub-categories containing numerous portable apps. I have tried and tested many of the portable app suites and this one I have to say this is probably the best one I have yet to experience. The features that stands with me is that you can update the LiberKey package directly from the internet to keep all your portable apps up-to-date AND you can add/remove any applications at your discretion. I find LiberKey to be a very impressive application…
LiberKey is available in (3)-three different packages:
LiberKey Ultimate (202 packages)
LiberKey Standard (106 packages)
LiberKey Basic (28 packages)
Main Assets of LiberKey
- 100% mobility with portable software
- A rigorous selection among more than 1800 software
- Updates of LiberKey directly by Internet
- You can temporarily associate files extensions (.avi, .jpg, doc.,…) with LiberKey software
- Optimization of launching and installed size
- And, it is free, without virus, spyware, adware, popup, etc.