Google Acquires Picnik Photo Editor

Picnik is a cloud app that gives you the power to edit your photos and images in your web browser. You simply upload the photo or image you desire to tweak or fix.  With Picnik you can fix underexposed photos, remove red-eye, or apply effects to your photos without the need of installing software on your PC.

image

Today, I learned that Google has acquired Picnik.  This acquisition is another piece of the puzzle that Google is putting together to make our online experience as seamless as possible. With this acquisition, Picnik will only get better! You can read more about it [HERE] .

image

Picnik is a fast, fun, easy to use and powerful set of photo editing tools for editing, sharing and printing images using any internet browser on any computer platform. Picnik is integrated with a wide variety of websites like Picasa Web Albums, Facebook, Flickr, Yahoo! Mail and Photobucket. With Picnik, you can edit your photos wherever they are from wherever you are.

And all this leads us to today’s exciting news: we’ve just been acquired by Google! What does this mean for Picnik? It means we can think BIG. Google processes petabytes of data every day, and with their worldwide infrastructure and world-class team, it is truly the best home we could have found. Under the Google roof we’ll reach more people than ever before, impacting more lives and making more photos more awesome.

StumbleIt

jaanix post to jaanix

Bookmark and Share

image

[ CLICK HERE TO LEAVE A COMMENT ]

6 Responses to Google Acquires Picnik Photo Editor

1. Adrian says:

Your previous recommendation, pixlr, is a good online photo editor too. However, Pixlr is more like PhotoImpact, and Picnik is easier to use.

BTW, I have become a co-author of the blog dotTech at http://www.dottech.org. You may want to check it out.

2. Ramblinrick says:

Adrian,

I’ve been on that site quite a few times. It is actually on my Launch Pad (collection of tech sites).

Good luck with that… You are right about Pixlr. Just found it interesting that Google is trolling around gathering up these apps for future endeavors.

Rick

3. pochp says:

Hey Rick,
    I’m not satisfied with Google Picasa -too complicated.
    Maybe this is why Google added Picnic. I’ll try this asap. Great tip!

4. Bill Mullins says:

Rick,

I can see the time when Google is going to be pushed up against the wall and accused of “operating in restraint of trade” – based on this type of purchase.

Power, in too few hands, has always had negative consequences for society. I think Google has reached the point, where their consolidation of power on the Internet, and elsewhere, has reached alarming proportions.

I can’t think of a circumstance where I’d post a private pic, to a public site, operated by Google. My trust does not extend that far.

Bill

• Ramblinrick says:

Bill,

Thanks for your input on Google’s continued acquisitions. I do have to admit I had to look up “operating in restraint of trade” ( unreasonable restraints of trade are illegal per se and interfere with free competition in business and commercial transactions). Google is methodically adding to the empire AND like any empire (especially in the business world), will come under scrutiny for holding too much power; a power that will affect each and everyone of us AND have negative consequences. Could be the true “big brother” in the making…

Rick