One of my favorite (offline) dictionaries, WordWeb, is now available as an (offline) dictionary app for your Android devices (smartphones and tablet PCs).
Before I go any further, when you install this app on your Android device, be aware that it will result in a 20mb+ download; so, if you are limited in space, then this app may not be a good choice. When I installed WordWeb on my Toshiba Thrive Tablet, it ate up 25mb’s of space; but, in my opinion it is well worth it.
WordWeb, in my opinion, is one of the best offline dictionaries available that features a thesaurus with synonyms; PLUS, the ability to link to various online sources (such as Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Answers.com, and Google). In my opinion, with the ability to link to these online sources makes WordWeb more than just a dictionary.
WordWeb is a comprehensive international English thesaurus and dictionary, with definitions, synonyms and many related words. It includes pronunciations and usage examples, and has helpful spelling and sounds-like links. Wordweb does much more than a paper dictionary or thesaurus: WordWeb is truly a Word Web – each definition is linked to sets other related words. Just click on a word to explore the network of meanings.
- Up-to-date international English dictionary, based on WordWeb
- Fuzzy lookup with spelling and sounds-like suggestions
- Synonyms, similar words and many usage examples
- 285 000 words, phrases and derived forms
- 225 000 word sense definitions
- 85 000 easy-to-understand text pronunciations
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel, consonant, select word types)
- Includes many proper nouns, compounds and phrases
- Bookmarks, recent and random words
- Full coverage of American, British, Canadian, Australasian and Asian English
- Works offline, one app for phones and tablets
GEEK BONUS AREA