If you have never used a trackball before you do not know what you are missing. Probably the best way to describe a trackball is that it is a stationary mouse (no mouse to move around) with a ball that you use your thumb to navigate (or roll the ball) to perform your onscreen point and click operations.
Compared with a mouse, a trackball has no limits on effective travel; at times, a mouse can reach an edge of its working area while the operator still wishes to move the screen pointer farther. With a trackball, the operator just continues rolling, whereas a mouse would have to be lifted and re-positioned. Some trackballs, such as Logitech’s optical-pickoff types, have notably low friction, as well as being dense (glass), so they can be spun to make them coast. The trackball’s buttons may be situated to that of a mouse or to a unique style that suits the user… source: Wikipedia
Looking at the trackball options out there, the best-of-the-best, in my opinion and based on customer reviews in the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball. If we look at this at What’s On My PC @ Amazon (at the time of this writing), there were over 4105 reviews submitted giving the Logitech M570 a near 5 star rating. I personally am looking at this trackball to prevent injury to my wrist and to use it as a media center device. Another plus to the trackball, is if you have limited desk space, the trackball is the way to go because you do not move it, and it only takes up the space where you position it (plus, no mouse pad is required).
- Trackball comfort: Sculpted shape supports your hand and stays in one place?move the cursor without moving your arm
- Logitech Unifying receiver: Connect up to six compatible wireless devices with one tiny receiver that stays in your laptop
- Long battery life: Go for up to 18 months without changing the included AA battery* (* Battery life may vary based on user and computing conditions. )
- Smooth cursor control anywhere: Precision laser tracking on your desk, couch, bed or almost any other surface
- For Windows or Mac OS: Control your laptop, desktop computer or home theater PC wirelessly from up to 30 ft. away** (** Actual wireless range will vary with use, settings and environmental conditions. )
- Compact footprint: perfect for tight workspaces and busy desks.
- Logitech Advanced 2.4 GHz wireless
- Logitech Unifying technology: Easily connect up to six compatible wireless devices?keyboards, number pads or mice?without the hassle of multiple receivers filling up your USB ports.
- Trackball comfort, Time-tested shape
- Wireless freedom: Control laptop, desktop computer or home theater PC from up to 30 feet (10 meters) away.