My brothers and I have been in a situation where we are caring for our Father. We needed a way to schedule when we were available to assist with his care. What I did, since I have a Google account, was setup a calendar that could be shared with each of my brothers. In this case, each of us had a Google account which made setting this up all the more easier; PLUS I was able to give each brother rights to edit (add or delete) events on the calendar. You can also make the calendar public (with viewing rights only) for those who do not have an account or those who need to see the calendar. Setting this up literally took me less than 10 minutes.
Here are the steps to setup and share a Google Calendar:
You can create a new calendar and invite other people to view or edit it. When you create an event, you’ll see an option to choose which calendar to add the event to.
- On your computer, open Google Calendar. You can’t create or share calendars from the Google Calendar app.
- On the left, next to “My Calendars,” click the Down arrow.
- Click Create a new calendar.
- Add the calendar name. In my case, I named the calendar “Family”
- Under “Share with specific people,” add the email address of the person you want to share with. This is where it is beneficial that each recipient has a Google account.
- Under “Permission Settings,” choose an option in the drop-down menu. In my case, I selected the option “Make changes to events”; which allows the people you are sharing with to edit, add or delete events. They can also restore events from the trash that have been deleted.
- If someone isn’t already added, click Add person.
- Click Create calendar and you are done. Each recipient will receive an email to announce that a shared calendar has been created for which they can edit.
If you shared your calendar with an individual email address, they’ll see your calendar in their “Other calendar” list. If you shared your calendar with an email group , they’ll see the calendar in their “Other calendars” list once they click on the link in the email invitation from Google Calendar.
Important: To get your new calendar to show up on your Android phone or tablet, you’ll need to turn on sync for that calendar.