If you were at my Windows 10 based desktop computer you would notice various icons on the desktop (and taskbar) for web-based applications such as my personal start page, my email, my calendar, my contacts, my notes, solitaire, etc… These are all shortcuts to the various web-based applications that I use frequently. For example, instead of opening of my Google Chrome browser, then going to the actual web page that hosts my email, I simply click on the shortcut and it will take me directly to the page. These shortcuts are easy to create and will improve your productivity immensely; also, shortcuts can be made to give the illusion they are like an installed software app on your PC.
So, how do you create a desktop shortcut in Google Chrome:
- Open the Chrome web browser and go to the web page that you want to create the shortcut for.
- Go to the Chrome menu, located in the upper right-hand corner of the browser and click on the three vertically aligned dots and a menu will open up.
- Click on “Select More tools” and then click on “Create shortcut”
- The following type window will appear and if you notice there is an option to “Open as window”.
By selecting this option, when the shortcut is created, the web page will open like a normal window that you typically see in Windows. If you do not select this option, the web page will open in Google Chrome as it normally does. In our case, for demo purposes, do not check that option (leave it blank).
- Next, click on “Create” and voila’, your shortcut should now be on your Windows 10 desktop. By simply clicking on that shortcut, you will be taken directly to the web page that you created the shortcut for.
As an added option, in Windows 10, you can right click on the shortcut icon and select, “Pin to taskbar” and the shortcut will be created on the taskbar at the bottom of your desktop. Typically, I do this, then I delete the shortcut icon on the desktop. It is safe to delete these shortcuts at any time.
What is fun in working computers is trying different things. I encourage you to give this try and I think you will find that this is a great timesaver.